Sunday, May 29, 2005

Going Home

I'll be gone tomorrow. From the UK I mean. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually sad to leave this stupid country. Much like in the movies, we never realise how much we love something till we're about to lose it. I grew up a lot here, made a lot of friends, some that I'll cherish till the end of my days (wekk.. uwekkk.. man.. gotta lay off the feel-good stuff). There are loads of memories associated with this country, some good, some bad, but all of them made me the man I am now. (Seriously dude, you gotta shake this nostalgic crap).

I still remember my first day in the UK back in 2001. My world was crumbling, tumbling down to mthe murky depths of oblivion. I stepped out of Heathrow Airport, and all I could see was the gray sky of London, and then it began to rain. I reached some pretty low points in the next year or so, but slowly my life began to turn around.

And now, I'll be going home, five years down the line, hopefully much the wiser. Never thought I'd get here in one piece, but I have. I'll be starting a whole new journey too with Hanim soon, and though I am full of trepidation at the start of this new phase in my life, I'm also quite happy to take the plunge, for if I've learnt anything in my five years in the UK, it is this: as long as you can look back and smile, you've done alright.

Hopefully in twenty years you'll see me reminiscing in a coffee shop and smiling to myself. You're more than welcome to join me for a cuppa if you wish, dear reader.

Oh, and the teh tarik's on me.

No comments: