Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Am I needy?

Shut up Nadia.

I am needy. I need to feel that I make a difference to someone. Note the keyword there. Someone. I need a pat on the back from everyone who knows me about as much as I need a thick woollen sweater on a blisteringly hot KL afternoon. What I need is someone to fall back on, the rock that keeps me sane when things go belly-up.

I think its quite firmly established that I am rather needy. However, is it such a bad thing? Is it such a bad thing to want to be appreciated? Or is it just because I am a guy, I'm supposed to be strong one, and provide the wall for you when you need it? What happens when the wall itself is feeling weak? Should you then just hold up your hands and say, "whoa! I ain't gonna hold you up, dude!"?

Why am I this way? I don't know. Maybe deep down, I'm not too happy with who I am. Deep down, I'm ungrateful, I think. True, my life never turned out the way I wanted it to, but it's great where I am now. Okay, there are certain difficulties, certain thorny bushes here and there that I've somehow managed to fall into, but I'll deal with them, like I've always done.

Or maybe I'm just feeling insecure because I've not received my paycheque. Bah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me to shut up! Hurrah!

Don't take things too personally Ahmad. We criticise people for being needy, and we criticise people for isolating themselves too much - It's a lose-lose situation. Just live your life and be happy :)

Anonymous said...

Ha tulah. Apa kejadah. Why do I have to shut up? Hmph. At least link my name or sth, dude.

I think deep down most people are needy anyway. Your self-worth needs to be defined by someone, something. You need someone not just to love you, but to need you. Validation and all that jazz. It's called being human.

Be happy, man.